At the core of the solar industry is a simple idea: harnessing the power of the sun to generate energy. Choosing a reputable company for your solar installation is crucial, as this will affect everything from warranties to price.
The price range for a solar installation can vary widely, depending on the company you choose. This is because there are many different costs involved in running a successful solar and electrical business, such as overhead expenses, supporting staff, skilled electricians and the quality of the products you use. When you work with a reputable company, you’re paying for their quality and experience, which will ultimately save you money in the long run.
The solar industry in Australia has had hundreds if not thousands of companies come and go. Whether their goal was to make a quick dollar and get out or they just did not invest in the experience needed to run a professional business. Their business plan was not to invest time and resources in:
- Research and development in the best products to use for Australian Conditions.
- Researching the best supply chains to ensure warranties can be maintained in the future. (Solar Panels have a 25-year warranty and now Solar Inverters have up to a 10-year warranty) This is worth nothing to a customer if the manufacturers and installers disappear.
- Investing and training Electricians, Apprentices, and Energy Experts. One of the most important parts of an installation is how it’s done. An experienced and reputable installer will have the knowledge and skills to ensure that your system is properly installed and will be reliable for years to come.
- Back up and support team. Do they have a warranty, customer service, and engineering team for when something goes wrong?
- Contracts and relationships with tier-one wholesalers and manufacturers.
- An experienced board and balance sheet to navigate through the ever-changing and challenging world economy.
- Building a long-term reputable brand.
Horan & Bird started in 2004 and has built one of the longest-standing solar companies in Australia. We have over 30,000 customers and have won Master Electrician of the Year five times along with Australian Small Business of the Year in 2012.
Not all companies are created equal – and that goes for solar companies too. That’s why it’s important to choose a company with experience, so you can be sure your system is installed correctly and will last for years.
At the end of the day, choosing a reliable solar installer is essential if you want to make sure that your investment in sustainable energy will be worth it in the long run. So do your research and choose wisely!
Founder & Manager of Horan & Bird Energy. Director of Master Electricians Australia. John has played a key entrepreneurial role in the transformation of the Energy Landscape in Queensland having founded Horan & Bird in 2004 and building it to a $35 Million Business. The business was then sold, repurchased and merged with Juice Capital in 2020. Juice Capital own one of the largest renewable energy funds in Australia and allow customers to go solar and batteries for no up front capital through Power Purchase Agreements.