Most solar systems that are still receiving the 44c solar Feed-in Tariff (FIT) in Queensland are now 10 – 12 years old. While the panels come with a 25-year performance warranty, the inverter rack and rail are now well out of warranty. Furthermore, they just do not make the old-sized solar panels anymore, and they are hard to replace if one fails or is broken. It is possible to replace your solar with a brand new system and keep the 44 Cent Feed in Tariff if it is the same size (panel capacity can go over by 5%) or smaller.
Here are the key reasons many of our customers are replacing their old solar systems:
- There are still almost six years to run on the 44c FIT (it ends on July 30th 2028). With a 5kW solar system most customers are saving between $2000 – $3000 per year on their power bills. A brand-new Solar System with all new warranties could be paid back in 2.5 – 3.5 years.
- The new Solar Panels today are a lot more efficient and powerful than the panels 10 years ago. Giving you an even better return.
- There is still great Government Solar Rebates. You can still get up to a $2500 discount in Renewable Energy Certificates for a 5KW system. These rebates are reducing every year and will be gone before we know it.
- They do not make smaller solar panels anymore. It is very hard to get any solar panel 250W or under. This means customers are being forced to have different sized panels on their roof which not only do not look the best, but can also be problematic to install.
- Customers have had their inverter fail and weigh up paying up to $2500 to have it replaced and still have old panels or to replace the entire system instead.
- The panels today are 400W and over meaning you need less panels on your roof.
- Up to 50% of households will have at least one Electric Vehicle within 8 years. You will want a good solar system to charge your Electric Vehicle when the 44c FIT has ended.
- Most solar owners will want a Battery for their home when the 44c FIT has ended. You will require a modern solar system to charge this battery.
We are probably at the tipping point of taking full advantage of the last six years of the 44c Feed in Tariff with a brand-new solar system. Most people will have a new system paid for itself in under 3 years and you will be set up for the next stage of your NetZero journey with Electric Vehicles or a Battery for your home.
If you would like us to give you a quote for a new replacement Solar System contact us here.
Founder & Manager of Horan & Bird Energy. Director of Master Electricians Australia. John has played a key entrepreneurial role in the transformation of the Energy Landscape in Queensland having founded Horan & Bird in 2004 and building it to a $35 Million Business. The business was then sold, repurchased and merged with Juice Capital in 2020. Juice Capital own one of the largest renewable energy funds in Australia and allow customers to go solar and batteries for no up front capital through Power Purchase Agreements.